What is it about?
The Fund Orcadia supports talented researchers who have recently obtained a PhD or are about to finish a PhD in pursuing their research career and strengthen their application for long-term fellowships and funding. This year, the call is open to researchers in Flemish universities.
The aim of this call is to support applied research related to the Health and Environment Interface, with the perspective of a concrete implementation in the field.
Possible topics are:
- Air pollution and its impacts on health;
- Emerging infectious diseases linked to close interactions between humans and natural habitats and the animal world: deforestation, loss of biodiversity, intensive livestock farming, trade in animal species, ...;
- Impacts of climate change disasters on health (heat waves, droughts, floods, water contamination, forest fires, ...) and preventive measures;
- Impacts of natural disasters on migration and conflicts, with their negative consequences on physical and mental health;
- Psychological distress related to future environmental changes: eco-anxiety, solastalgia;
- Mental health benefits of contact with nature (environmental psychology), including the role of green spaces in cities, gardening therapies, connection with nature, biophilia, ...